Friday 16 January 2015

Project DOVE - little kindness goes a long way

I was proud to take part in such a wonderful charity event run by the Vision Tri Club. Project DOVE is about raising awareness of drugs, obesity and violence through exercise.  Project DOVE was started by the one and only Brett "the Doc" Sutton. He is an Australian triathlon coach and a former professional boxer, boxing coach, greyhound trainer, racehorse trainer, elite swimming coach and current mentor for my wonderful coach- Cath. He has trained numerous athletes into World and Olympic champions. Including Ironman world record holder, Chrissie Wellington, and Olympic champions, Nicola Spirig and Emma Snowsill. Just to name a few. This man, in my opinion is the king of triathlon coaches and one day I would love to have the honour of him coaching me to the top.

Currently many athletes and supporters of triathlon have seen entry fees sky rocket to the point where the athlete can no longer feel like a 'participant but more like a customer.' Sutton states that he has seen 'Elite/professional athletes so isolated to the point their existence is at stake.' This should not be happening in this great sport, hence why this foundation was created. Project DOVE aims to 'bring back equality into the sport of triathlon for pros and age groupers alike.'

'I believe triathlon can be a great vehicle for community spirit and activism and that’s why I started DOVE.' 
- Brett Sutton

Crew getting ready to take off. Nice foggy 6am start.
So to add our two cents, the Vision Tri Club ran a swim training event. Participants had the option to chose to do; 100x 100m, 50x 50m or 25x 25m. We worked in pairs of similar ability and I was partnered with Andrew to do the 100 x100m, who is gearing up for Hell of The West in Goondiwindi in a few weeks. All up I would be swimming 50 x 100m or 5km.

Easier said than done.

By that statement, I meant that in two years since I left school I have already forgotten how to count!! I quickly lost track of where I was up to and often (pretty much after each 100m), had to check with my lane buddies Julia and Clare. Thank God they can count! As I neared towards halfway I was even more delighted when I discovered someone had brought along a box of giant white marshmallows, red skins and Minties! You literally had to eat the marshmallow in two bites. They were so good I only had one.... maybe two... ok I had three. Sorry coach...But believe me, after 3km of constant swimming your energy begins to fade. So I say its a fairly reasonable excuse.   


Phones are now water proof. Photo cred: Bronwyn Jennings Photography  
Overall, the event was such a success with the whole club turning out to participate and even brought along two pro triathletes Ellie Salthause, Felicity Abram and 1984 Olympic 400m Bronze medallist Justin Lemberg for a swim! The event ran so smoothly even with a full pool. Although I felt like I was going to kick my lane buddies in the face every time I tumble-turned, despite being assured that I was nowhere near them. (It was a 25m pool for your info). The ladies doing 25 x25 even continued on to do 50x25m! An amazing feat by everyone!

All money raised is being split up between Project DOVE and Ellie's charity Still I Rise. An amazing not for profit organisation providing counselling and rehabilitation services to Australians living with cancer. I would like to thank Just Sport N Fitness for opening their facilities to us, Cath and Greg for organising the event and the whole Vision club for a spectacular day in the sun.

Ready for the next round!

For more info on Brett and Project DOVE:  http://trisutto.com/dove-project/
Ellie Salthause's charity organisation: http://www.stillirise.com.au/

red faced, goggled, post 100x100m photo.

Even got to take home a certificate





The Twins and I, post swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment